Thursday, June 4, 2009

Greetings from the Road - By Nathan Maxwell/Flogging Molly


I can't tell you how much I love my band Flogging Molly. In fact, I consider us to be more than a band. We are a family. Though we are seven very different individuals from different parts of the country and world, we have different backgrounds and different tastes. We are of different ages, deep down we all love each other and have all dedicated our lives to a common goal: To share the music of Flogging Molly with as many people as possible. And for us that has meant over the last decade one predominant thing: Touring.

Like any family that I have ever come in contact with, we have our ups and downs, small disagreements and once in a while major blow-outs. But through all the good times and the bad, we persevere. I can tell you that there have been times when it seemed like we were going to self-destruct. And looking back at those times I am so grateful that we all managed help each other out, pick each other up, and pull through it as a family.

Not only do we help each other when one of us is down, but we inspire each other to become better. During the writing session for our latest album "Float", we were all sharing different song ideas with each other. Some of which are now on that album, and some just did not seem to fit the vibe. That is not to say that the songs and ideas were not good enough, just that they did not seem to fit the direction that we were heading at the time.

I will never forget, and always be grateful to our band leader and singer Dave King when he took a moment to stop the writing/rehearsal session and address some of the songs that we were sharing with each other. In a nutshell he explained that all of us individually should pursue our own artistic development and song-writing. And that we should all feel free to express ourselves in different ways outside of Flogging Molly. Whether it be jamming with some other musicians, playing on other peoples records, or recording a record of our own. Wow! After just watching Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster" and remembering the part of the movie where the bass player was given an ultimatum that eventually led to him leaving the band, I was very impressed with the fact that Dave had no issue with any of us doing something outside of our band, our family. Of course it goes without saying that our first priority must be and always will remain Flogging Molly.

This openness has inspired me to go into the studio earlier this year and record an album with my father. Though it is very different sounding than a Flogging Molly record, it was a great experience and a complete blast to do! It has given me more confidence in my musicianship and has in my opinion made me a bigger asset to Flogging Molly, our band, our family. I am confident that with this type of support for each other and willingness to let each other grow and express ourselves, we are a strong family and will be around for a long time to come.


Positivity, Creativity, be an Asset to the Family!


Nathen Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment